Shotgun Rules

Evan Prodromou evan@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue, 07 May 2002 17:48:33 -0400

>>>>> "NM" == Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net> writes:

    NM> There is no "D" in Invariant Sections.

And there is no "U" in "teamwork," but I don't think that that really
matters.

Hey, so, as far as I can tell, there are about 5 or 6 copyleft
licenses for non-program documents, namely:

The GNU Free Documentation License:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt

The Open Content License:

    http://www.opencontent.org/opl.shtml

The Open Publication License:

    http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/

The dark-horse Design Science License (I like this one because it
doesn't have "Open" or "GNU" in the name):

    http://www.dsl.org/copyleft/dsl.txt

And of course the >:-O license from EFF:

    http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.html

Oh, gosh, almost forgot the Free Art License (subject to FRENCH LAW):

    http://artlibre.org/licence/lalgb.html

(Nice jerkcity quote in the URL, there.)

Not to mention the now-expired Free Music License

    http://www.fmpl.org/fmpl.txt

Of these all, I prefer the DSL, although I'm pretty sure no lawyer has
ever really looked at it, so I feel more comfy with the GFDL. All in
all, this proliferation seems to indicate a fairly strong sentiment by
people to make Free Stuff, but not a lot of Free Stuff seems to be
forthcoming.

Oh well. I guess I need to get "FYA Newswire" up and running sooner
rather than later.

~ESP